Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Rocking Chair

I'm sick. I went to Phoenix Comicon over the Memorial Day weekend, and I came back with a case of the "con crud." I feel like doing utterly nothing, so I am going to finish up with my ghost stories.

So, I told you about the "light." That was pretty weird, and unsettling to me at the time, but it didn't have an overtly aggressive quality. I mean, it just went back and forth. It didn't attack me. But this story was a bit more scary for me. This felt more threatening.

I was a teenager, and I worked weekends at a local restaurant. I had just come home from work, and it was early evening- maybe 6 or 7 pm, so the light was beginning to dim, but it was nowhere near full dark yet. I came home to an empty house. There was a note in the kitchen that informed me that my parents and siblings had gone to one of my sister's soccer games and they would be home in a few hours. There was food in the fridge.
So, I warmed myself up a plate, sat down on the living room couch, and started to eat. We had a little beagle puppy at the time. Cute little bugger, just showed up in our yard one day, no tags, underfed. We adopted him. He planted himself at my feet, hoping for some scraps. I turned on the tv. The dog and I were just relaxing and eating, watching a show.

The power went out.

It did that a lot, so my first thought was just, "Shoot, now I have to get up and go find some candles or something." I had time for just that one thought. In the next second, the rocking chair that sits on the front porch began slamming itself into the window frame. WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM!!!

It wasn't just knocking against it. It was slamming full force. It looked like someone was beating it against the window. Except there was no one out there. No animal either.

There was no wind. Nor had any wind ever caused the rocker to slam into the house that way before.

I was frozen with terror. This felt angry. This felt like something wanted not just my attention, but to frighten me. Well, it was working. The thing that scared me the most though, was the dog. The dog simply lost his mind when this happened. He cried in a way I had never heard before out of any animal. It was utter fear. The poor little baby was shaking and howling.

The slamming went on for maybe two minutes. I remained unable to move the entire time. I was transfixed by it. I kept looking for some reason this was happening. Some explanation. Then it just stopped.

The power came right back on.

It was over, and it never happened again.

In the picture, you can see the actual porch and rocker I am talking about.The water bottles were not there, and the rocker was moved right in front of the window. But everything else is the same.

I have no explanation for what happened. I did tell my parents about it, and they dismissed it as probably the wind or an animal knocked the rocker. I know that wasn't it. If an animal had knocked it, the slamming would not have continued in a steady, forceful way. It would have had maybe one or two loud slams, and then trailed off as it lost momentum. I suppose, in the right circumstances the wind could have done it. But I also vividly remember this event, and that I looked for wind. I looked for an animal, a person, some explanation. Everything outside, except the rocker was still. I don't believe it was wind. I believe that there is something in the house. I don't know if it is a ghost, or something else, but there are times when it seems to want to make itself known.

There are other things that have happened. I don't call those individual events "paranormal" because I think there are too many possible explanations to give them that label. But, when you take it all in, as a whole, it makes the possibility that there is some sort of haunting going on, seem more possible.
 For example:
Lights turn themselves on and off.
The radio would turn on whenever we went on vacation. We would come home to it blasting at full volume, on a station we never listened to.
One of my sisters woke me in the middle of the night to come with her downstairs, because she swore she had heard people talking loudly down in the library. No one was there.
 Another sister described seeing a man walking up the stairs. She followed him, but there was no one there.
She later dreamed about this same man, and believed he died in the house, very ill. She said in her dream, he was sweating and seemed very sick. She asked him to leave her alone because he was scaring her.
The previous owner of the house had described seeing an apparition once- a woman who walked through the entryway, into the library, and then disappeared.
I would routinely wake up and feel the bed shaking.
Since I moved out, my father remarried. His new wife and daughters are experiencing the lights turning themselves on and off as well. They routinely feel scared of the house for no real reason.

I feel I can't completely vouch for anyone else's story. Just like in court, I only have hearsay. And some of the more minor events that I witnessed could have other explanations. But when you stand back and look at all of it, it gives you both the heebies and the jeebies. I still feel nervous when I visit the house at night. I try to tell myself that the feeling is irrational, but that doesn't help. What I have experienced was also irrational. But it was real. I don't like the area in the backyard especially. I feel watched. Maybe I just remember the light that I saw there one night. Maybe there is something that watches from the field. I don't know. I just walk very quickly to my car when I leave my father's house. And I tell myself that everything has a rational explanation- except when it doesn't.





No comments:

Post a Comment