Thursday, May 30, 2013

Great Grandma, the Murderer?

I have recently been doing a lot of research into my family tree. I got a subscription to ancestry.com, I signed up with findagrave.com, and every tip I've gotten, I have followed up with my own personal research. What I have found has been more fascinating than I ever could have imagined.

It started with a few little finds, like- I thought my mother's side was heavily Irish, in fact, it is heavily Scottish, with just a little Irish thrown in for good measure. I discovered that my French ancestors on my father's side, left France because they were Huguenots, fleeing the persecution of them by the Catholics. Multiple ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War, multiple ancestors were founders of towns, and many many more were simply farmers, working the land.

One revelation, however, was a bit more of a shock.

On my mother's side, one of my great-grandmothers had the maiden name of Taulbee.
So I began searching for her parents. I found them easily enough, and in fact, was able to trace the entire Taulbee line right back to the first couple to have come to America. There is no record of their actual immigration, so it is speculated that they came from England, because they settled in the English, Puritan colony of Boston, Massachusetts, in the 1600s. Their names were John and Dorothy Talby. (Some records suggest her maiden name may have been Rawlinson, but that is not certain) They were my 11th Great-Grandparents.

Dorothy Talby was hanged for murder in 1638.

"Whoa." "I'm sorry...what??"

I had to look this one up for myself. It is true. The Puritans of Boston kept detailed records not only of the hanging, but of the events leading up to it.

From the Journal of John Winthrop:
"Dorothy Talbye was hanged at Boston for murdering her own daughter, a child of three years old. She had been a member of the church of Salem, and of good esteem for godliness, etc; but falling at difference with her husband, through melancholy or spiritual delusions, she sometimes attempted to kill him, and her children, and herself, by refusing meat, saying it was so revealed to her, etc.
 ...the church cast her out. Whereupon she grew worse; so as the magistrate caused her to be whipped. Whereupon she was reformed for a time and carried herself more dutifully to her husband, etc; but soon after, she was so possessed with Satan that he persuaded her...to break the neck of her own child that she might free it from future misery."
 To sum up, Dorothy gave birth to a daughter, which she named "Difficulty" in 1636. I think the name says a lot. It would appear that after Difficulty's birth, Mrs. Talby began to suffer from either post-partum depression or some type of delusional mental disorder. Whatever was actually wrong with her, we'll never know. But she begins to have episodes wherein she physically beats her husband, she often refuses to eat, and she becomes increasingly aggressive and potentially dangerous to her family.
The church was the authority in this time, and so it is they who "handle" the situation.
They excommunicate Dorothy in 1637, and order her to be temporarily chained to a post in the center of town. Eventually, she is sent back home, but her behavior becomes worse, not better.
 (What a shocker. Chaining mentally ill people doesn't work? What??)
When John Talby complains that she has become a danger to his life, she is sentenced to be publicly whipped. For a while, she seems better, but by 1638, her behavior is becoming strange again. She claims to have visions from God, and he instructs her to kill her child, and eventually she does so by breaking the toddler's neck.
When she is arrested, she confesses, but at her trial, she refuses to speak until the Governor threatens to press her to death if she does not enter her plea. (Pressing to death is a gruesome sentence that requires heavy stones to be laid onto the person until they are crushed. It is a long, and agonizing death, and the only person known to have suffered this fate was Giles Corey, who was accused of being a wizard in the Salem witch trials)
Dorothy confesses to avoid this horrific fate. She is sentenced to death by hanging. She begs the court to behead her instead, as she believes this death will be swifter and less painful. They deny her plea. She is hanged to death on December 6th, 1638.


Her husband, John is censured in the church in March of 1639, for "much pride, and unnaturalness, to his wife, who was lately executed for murdering her child.” (from a letter by Pastor, Hugh Peter) He later moves to Salem, and dies there in 1645. Three children survive- Anne, Stephen and John. Stephen is my ancestor, and he became the captain of a trading ketch, named the Adventurer.

Dorothy's case is very well publicized. She was the 3rd woman ever to be executed in the colonies. But her case is more famous than the first two because the records in those cases are lost, whereas Dorothy's is well documented. Oliver Wendell Holmes referenced the Talby case in his book Medical Essays. In Main Street, writer Nathaniel Hawthorne shows Dorothy Talby, "chained to a post at the corner of Prison Lane, with the hot sun blazing on her matronly face, and all for no other offence than lifting her hand against her husband."

When I first learned of all of this, I was shocked of course. I actually didn't want to tell my mother and my grandfather who their ancestor was. I was worried that they'd feel ashamed to have such an infamous murderer connected to our family. But then, I started to just feel very sorry for her. Poor Dorothy. In another time, in another place, she might have gotten help. At minimum, she would have simply gone to a mental hospital or jail for the rest of her life, instead of being hanged. Today, she might have seen a therapist before it ever got bad enough for her to end up killing her own child. And how much of her mental disorder was aggravated by her husband's ill-treatment of her, and by the church's misunderstanding of how to treat mentally ill persons? When you see her this way, what is there to be embarrassed of? Every family, if you search hard enough, will have some members with scandalous backgrounds. Its just a matter of odds. If you survey any large section of people, you are bound to find a criminal or two.Ours was just more well-known. The tragedy is that this is all she is known for. It would seem from John Winthrop's writings that for most of her life, she was considered an upstanding member of the community. No doubt she had good qualities.
To me, and my family, our ancestor will be Dorothy Talby- the unfortunate victim of misinformed Puritan doctrine. But to history, my great-grandmother will always be Dorothy Talby- murderer.



34 comments:

  1. Hello,my name is Gina.I also am a descendent of Daritye; she's my Great Grandmother.I'm not sure how many times removed.My Mother's name was Anna Eleanore Ames, and her Mother's name was...Dorothy. In addition to the above, they accused her of being possessed by Satan.She was hanged as a witch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just learned Dorothy is my 12 great grandmother. From my grandfatheras side.

      Delete
  2. I'm curious as to who you are,SkyRhino.I don't think you're my 1/2 Brother Bob, because he's a terrible writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry,I know you wrote about the "possession." The fact that they actually called her a witch is an important piece of information.Goes to show just how little was understood about human behavior and psychology.I often wonder just how much of what her husband said she did was actually true.I've had abusive boyfriends who made it appear as if I was absolutely insane for defending myself against their violent actions.It's quite possible he was abusing the family, and her only escape plan for them all was the unthinkable.We'll never know.No matter what happened, it's tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Gina and Anonymous! I am definitely not anyone's 1/2 brother Bob. Ha ha :) I am the 11th Great-Granddaughter of Dorothy Talby through my Great-Grandmother, Beatrice Taulbee, who married Edgar Spencer. My Taulbee family is all in Kentucky, in Wolfe County.

    If anyone wants to share any info about their genealogies, I would love to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a Taulbee book by rose Taulbee with a lot of the genealogy written down. My grandfather was Blaine O Taulbee. I did find some information about Dorothy and John in England. There may be a connection to be given land by William the conquer. And possible roots in Tallaboise France. It got a bit confusing so I stopped my search. Rawlingson was Dorothy's maiden name. The site below has some more information.
      httpss://www.geni.com/people/Dorothy-Talby/6000000008583220376

      Delete
    2. I recently learned yesterday Dorothy is my 12 great grandmother, from my dad's- dad side.

      Delete
    3. Hey I am from what we can figure 15 generations out with Dorothy my grandmother 15 generations back. My grandmother is Roseanne taulbee and grandfather Robert Taublee. Can any tell me ifdepresaion after having a child runs in your family too? It does it mine so I find this interesting.

      Delete
  5. We are also decendents of Dorothy Taulbee though my grandmother's father's mother Paulina Taulbee - part of the Kentucks of Crandon Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am a  Taulbee on my fathers mom side  so on a site called house of names I found the taulbee ancestry from 1046ad
       

      Delete
  6. I am a descendant of Dorothy Taulbee though my great grandmother, Margaret Louise Taulbee, the daughter of Andrew Elsberry Taulbee and Eva Estelle Horton. Have you seen the Rose Taulbee book?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a local historian living in Braceby Lincolnshire England the village where Dorothy Rawlinson/Talby was born in 1598. She married John Talby in a village 6 miles away in 1619. Boston Lincolnshire 24 miles away was a centre of Puritanism which was strongly opposed by the Church of England. They were among many who moved to Massachusetts to avoid persecution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interested in more information on the Taulbee clan in England

      Delete
  8. Wow. My name is Jerry Taulbee, and I was born and raised in Pennsylvania. I too am a descendant of the infamous Dorothy. I only recently was convinced that I am descended from her (thank God for the internet, right). I'm intrigued now as to her (and John's) roots in England. I believe Dorothy's father Thomas Rawlinson was born in the mid-1500s but the trail runs cold there. Even further, since I tested 31% Scandinavian and since most of my paternal ancestors have been in America since the 1700s, I am guessing that the fact that my forebears were from Lincolnshire (formerly Danelaw, etc). that would likely explain my Scandinavian DNA. I'd love to visit Lincolnshire and environs sometime before I die.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Linda Clubb. I am also a direct descendant of Dorothy and John Talbye (through Susannah Taulbee and Daniel Webster Allen of Kentucky ). I'm very interested in our ancestry and sharing information. Lindaclubb1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You can also find me under the name Kelly McClusky weaaring a black shirt.

      Delete
  10. My name is Linda Clubb. I am also a direct descendant of Dorothy and John Talbye (through Susannah Taulbee and Daniel Webster Allen of Kentucky ). I'm very interested in our ancestry and sharing information. Lindaclubb1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! My name is Amber and I am also a direct descendent of Dorothy! I am a historian and wrote a term paper (my school saved it for use in future classes) as an undergrad on Dorothy and how the misogynistic nature of the Puritan culture contributed heavily to her madness. She came over during the Great Migration with John Winthrop and from what I have gathered, was friends with Anne Hutchinson!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, as a historian (not just a family member), consider Dorothy to be an early rabble rouser for the fair treatment of women. The fact that it is speculated that she was friends with Anne Hutchinson (or at least was one of the women who gathered in her house for their own bible studies/meetings) is evidence that she was punished for speaking her own mind (probably to her husband and possibly the magistrate) and not abiding by the harsh discipline of Puritanism. It's ironic that the people who fled religious persecution, used religion as a means to punish others, especially women that they felt they couldn't control.
    In addition, early groups like the Puritans had no understanding of psychology. In fact, psychology was not an independent branch of scientific discipline until the 1870's. Since it was not a know science, people were just thought to be possessed by Satan. It was the only thing they knew because religion was everything back then.
    Also, there are theories that the food the settlers ate was contaminated with mold and fungus. It is thought that this contributed to the hallucinogenic visions that many settlers (such as Dorothy) claimed to have. However, this theory holds the most water with the settlers in the 1690's vs the 1630's. It is possible that many factors including the mold/fungus theory and the psychological abuse suffered by many (especially women), by the hands of the male elders of the Puritan Church, played a major role in the downfall of Dorothy Talby.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also think she had post-partum psychosis.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, I also a descendant of Dorothy Talbye's son Stephen. He was my 9th great grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am the great granddaughter of John & Ella [Morris] Taulbee...my grandparents are Julian Sr & Mary D. Taulbee.........my bio. dad is Julian Taulbee Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i researched my family tree and dorathy rawlinson is one of my direct ancenstors as i am freya rawlinson born in linclonshire.

    ReplyDelete
  19. DRT was my 10th great-grandmother, through her eldest Anne Talby Jennings. Hello cousins!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am a descendant. She was my 9th Great Grandmother. Sad story, sad that strong women were treated this way.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have just started on this branch of my family tree and have found I am also a descendant of John and Dorothy by way of Stephen. As mentioned in a previous post, I am from Wolfe County, KY where many Taulbee's (or Talby's) reside.
    From Lexington, KY, hello my multitude of cousins.
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice to read this publication on this blog. As far as I can see, this is a very basic question for everyone indeed. Its my personal opinion and I am completely agreed with the subject used here.
    Salem History Walking Tour

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello. I am a decendant of John Talby. I've researched my lineage as far back to John and Dorothy. John was my 16th great grandfather. If anyone has done any further research as to Johns parents, please do share. John was born in 1595-1645. He came to Salem and settled. Im trying to research beyond John and find info on his English family and beyond. Thanks in advance if anyone has any info.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Misty. I am Linda. Dorothy Talby was my 10th great grandmother. I am also descendant of Stephen and my family was from Eastern Kentucky. I am fascinated by this story. Lindaclubb1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am also a descendent of John and Dorothy through my grandmother Mary Anita Taulbee Salyer. Most of my Taulbee family is from Morgan and Wolfe County Kentucky. Does anyone know when they sailed to America and in what ship?

    ReplyDelete